[rollei_list] Re: FREE Tri-X

  • From: Michael Eric Berube <pj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:06:05 -0400

Eric Goldstein wrote:
How about you give me the money you spent on that D300, and I'll  buy
a nice large format outfit, load it up with Tri-X or emulsion of my
choice working at ISO 1600, and I'll kick your ass around the room at
16 x 24, 20 x 30 or any other size you'd care to name...

No question, there are a lot of great reasons to shoot digital, but
detail under enlargement in a dollar for dollar comparison with analog
ain't one of them...

My brides just won't sit still long enough for me to change wet plates though!
http://goodphotos.com/images/wtd/WTD47.gif
:)
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE film...in my Rollei or Leica...It worked fine for the first 17 years of my career, but these last 6 years shooting only digitally have shown me that film is not practical for me to make a living with any more. I don't know of any emulsion shot with a wedding-practical camera (35 or 120) can compare with a properly exposed full colour image from a D300 or D3 in low light at high ISO. Then again even if such a film did exist, I'd still have to have it scanned to take it into PhotoShop for me to have the control over the image that I want...that alone makes film impractical to my bottom line.

So, (for me) film for fun, digital for food.

Carpe lumen,
Michael Eric Berube