[rollei_list] Re: FREE Tri-X

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:35:33 -0400

> For the ones that use digital for fine art, perhaps (though most of the ones I
> admire still use film), for commercial photography good enough is good enough,
> especially the convenience and cost factor...

As someone who does both commercial as well as fine art photography I assure
you that the imaging demands of commercial photography depending on the job
can be as demanding as those for a fine art exhibit or portfolio.
Depends on the size of your fine art prints.
And that mainly would be the main the criteria for a commercial job as well.

I've been hired to make 30x40 inch C prints for commercial clients and a few
occasions.. Images I shot for them for that purpose.
Never has a gallery or collector asked me to make one from my serious work.
I had a show of 20x24 fiber black and whites once.
Some of my serious work might not do well at  20x24  to 30x40.
Sometimes you don¹t know till you print them.

I find it interesting people who feel they are in a position to make
sweeping pejorative statements about a whole profession, one in which they
would appear to have little knowledge. But apparent expertise in causal
street shooting and camera collecting.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com