[rollei_list] Re: F&H GmbH Newsletter, good news !

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:03:58 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aaron Reece" <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:35 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: F&H GmbH Newsletter, good news !

William Mortensen used to use a 4x5 Graflex SLR for portraiture.

Just sayin'.  :-P

-Aaron

On Jul 11, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Well, let me guess, who in the world actually uses a SLR with a noisy flipping mirror to do portrait ? I have really no idea ;-) Photographers who would DARE to use a SLR for portraiture ! I thought that all portraits were made either with a compur-equiped view camera like Yusuf Karsh or with a Rollei 6x6 tlr fitted with a Rolleikin !

I think Mortensen used a 3-1/4 x 4-1/4, I would have to dig out his books to be sure. Other portrait photographers used Graflex or other LF SLR's. Torkel Korling, a photographer of children and originator of the the automatic diaphragm used on The Graflex Super-D used a Graflex. I've used my Super-D on occasion. Its not noisy in the way a 35mm or 120 SLR is. The mirror makes more of a clump than a bang and the shutter sounds like window blind flapping. Nonetheless, its less startling than the smaller cameras. The main drawback is that the finder goes blank slightly before the exposure so one is often surprized by the result. Probably the quietest shutter is a Packard shutter, they are air operated, the blades move relatively slowly, so they make very little noise. I don't think the Rolleiflex is any noiser.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx