[rollei_list] Re: Etymologies and other sensitivities

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:31:04 -0500

Hello All,
I would like to mention a little bit about P.C and Photography.
I studeid Photography at the University of Derbyshitre, and a few things were seriuosly frowned upon. When writing or discussing photography we were not allowed to say taking a photograph and certainly not shoot or taking a shot,as these terms were considered aggresive and self centered and representative of an attitude that rendered the individual incapable of producing Art but of only indulging in self gratification at the expense of the subject etc....

So, what were you required to say instead? I have heard people object to the term "shooting", which I think is silly, but what do you say instead of "taking"? I guess you can say, "Making a photograph," but that could be any part of it from clicking the shutter, to processing the film, to printing. What do you say as a synonym for "clicking the shutter and recording on the film what is in front of the lens"?

I am just curious because I too have been subjected to awful, extreme, and silly political correctness in academia.

--shannon