[rollei_list] Re: Epson Scanning Resolved

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:12:40 -0600

At 04:58 PM 2/20/2009, Marc wrote:
I have an equally bare-bones printer, an Epson Photo R200, which meets my needs, albeit I've never invested in the fancy inks and papers available. Just the Epson cartridges and Ilford Gallerie paper.

If you are talking specifically about the Epson Stylus photo R200, I rather like it. 6 ink colors and the ability to print on CD's or DVD's.

The only downside is the ink use and I have gone to generic inks and also, much of the time, just refill the cartridges for pennies. You do have to buy a small electronic gadget that resets the "ink remaining" for each cartridge, but that usually comes with any refill kit.

For scanning software I just use the import function in a 4-year-old version of Photoshop Elements 2. Works just fine with the TWAIN interface and my equally old CanoScan D 1230U which works just fine on prints, artwork, negatives, transparencies, whatever.

I recently bought one of those $99.00 Kodak multi-function scanner/copier/printer units but haven't put it into serious use yet. Their claim to fame is the use of pigmented ink and supposedly overall lower ink cost- something I can't verify just yet. (Their software is a bit hard to install, sometimes taking several tries, even after reading the instructions, but I did get it installed once).

DAW