[rollei_list] Re: Entertainers (and bailout) WAS: Re: Re: Happy MLK Day

  • From: "austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:40:32 -0500

Hi Aaron,

> > Opera
> > is not living uncomfortably.  I'm still not sure what it is exactly
> > she
> > does to make all that money ;-)

> She provides millions and millions of eyeballs to her customers.
> Remember, folks, the customers of TV broadcasters are advertisers.
> Viewers are the product sold to them.

I fully understand that.  But, it's what benefit to people she has is what
I question, and whether her benefit is really "worth" (quite subjective
obviously, and the saying something is "worth" what someone is willing to
pay for it certainly applies).  I see this type of (IMO) psychophantic
behavior as sad and unbeneficial to humanity.  I think people should think
for themselves.  I understand some people don't know how to think for
themselves, but I'd rather see them given the opportunity to do so, than to
have them simply "follow" someone like this.

BTW, why isn't Obama stopping this "bailout"?  Giving my money away much
less without having any scrutiny or oversight is absurd.  We fuss about ATM
fees, but not about $1T bailouts to the people who caused this problem in
the first place.  I'm all for government oversight to revamp mortgages and
the mortgage industry...and this current problem was not the result of only
Bush and the past 8 years of Congress, it's been a long time in the making
going even back to Carter.  If my business does poorly I don't get a
bailout...I can't even collect unemployment!  So, the banks who gave out
these nonsensical mortgages make less of a profit from those absurd
mortgages, so what?  If Obama wants to do something substantative, let's
see him (and the same Congress who came up with this "plan") do something
about this simply giving away $1T with no scrutiny or oversight.

Regards,

Austin