[rollei_list] Re: End of fungus, The beginning of light

  • From: todd belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:36:15 -0700

The Rollei factory settings are for 0.5 mm space between the front cover and the camera body. Note that I said front cover, because the part you see (the black painted front with bayonets and such) does not house the lenses in the Rollei TLR. There is a true 'front standard' underneath this that houses the shutter and lenses.

In the F series, small donut shaped brass washers are used to shim the front cover away from the front standard to attain the 0.5 mm spacing.

todd

On 18-Apr-07, at 5:45 AM, Robert Lilley wrote:

I just received my Rollei 3.5F back from John Van Shelten.  Both the
Heidosmat and the Xenotar were hit badly with fungus. John had to recoat one surface of the Xenotar and substitute another element in the Heidosmat. He did a superb job and for all practical purposes I have new glass in my camera. Yesterday I ran a roll though and the improvement was worth the
cost - the camera has never produced this quality before.

However, when I was taking pictures, I noticed that the front standard was not going all the way back to the body at infinity. There is about a 16th of an inch showing evenly between the standard and the body. When I talked
to John about it, he told me he put shims in to provide a little more
clearance for the two setting knobs. John says it frees up the movement allowing the f stops and speeds to be set easier. As the camera seems to work perfectly, I am not concerned about this - just wonder if this is a
practice others have heard of?

Rob