[rollei_list] Re: Economics Are Not Always Practiced (Thank God) (was:"I prefer simplicity and ease of use...")

  • From: "Douglas Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:11:54 -0600

The fact that some concerns, most notably ALPA, Zeiss Ikon, and Leitz,
ignored economic realities does not mean that they still didn't try to keep
production costs down.  All three of these concerns simply poured money out
of every orifice over the last decades of their existence or, in the case
of Leitz, until it managed to enter into a series of rather rocky prop-ups.

Had ALPA really attempted to produce a camera without "compromise", they
never would have cranked out their first production model.  Swiss bankers
are tighter than you can imagine and the coldness of their hearts would
make even a long-term inmate of the Soviet Gulags shiver.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!

However, the first model was not produced during their "heyday" as I
initially stated. From the Model 4 until the last 11si was produced I have
never seen evidence of compromise in any form, and I can not say that is
true with Contax, Rollei, or Leica.

Doug