[rollei_list] Re: Early Lens Coating

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:44:29 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 4:06 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Early Lens Coating

The later work done by Asahi and Zeiss which led
to the SMC and T* coatings was a development of
coatings sufficiently durable to allow use in lab
and technical gear and on camera lenses.

Marc

The durability of the coatings and their ability to protect the relatively delicate silver or aluminum reflective coating of mirrors was one of Dimmick's considerations. As you well know patents are legal rather than technical or scientific documents so the elucidation of processes in them is often confusing and can be downright misleading. That's why I would like to search the RCA research house organ. Like Bell Labs RCA had its own publications, this is in contrast to Eastman Kodak who, early on, decided to publish in established, peer-reviewed, journals. That gave immediate credibility to their work but makes the material harder to find because it is scattered and some of the journals are hard to find.

It is interesting, BTW, how much really advanced work was done at RCA on projects leading to a video disc. I think the main problem was that the surrounding technology was simply not ready. With some change in direction RCA could have had most of the market the Japanese have today.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx