[rollei_list] Re: Driving on the right - was: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: Richard Urmonas <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 08:31:08 -0800

In Australia there have unfortunately been several fatal accidents
caused by tourists driving on the wrong side. So it is not uncommon to
see reminder signs when leaving tourist spots and the larger places
have the exit from the car park arranged so one exits on the correct
side of the road.

Richard Urmonas

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:51:45 +0100
"F.W. Stutterheim" <fwstutterheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I come to the UK for thirty years now driving my left hand drive car
and ended up on the wrong side of the road just once. I was leaving a
private site using a narrow road and turned left into a slightly
wider road without white lines, no traffic, initially. My wife sat
next to me yelling but not telling me what was wrong. After a while I
decided to stop and ask what was on. We are still married. Strange
thing is I know that traffic situation very well. We are coming there
for around 20 years.

The Brits do what ever they can to prevent this happening. When you
leave the ferry terminal at Harwich you are reminded to keep to the
left every three or so miles. The signs are on the left hand side of
the road! Regulations, I guess. The thing is, when you notice the
signs you are most likely on the intended side of the road. Those who
are driving on the wrong side will probably miss them. ;-)

Ferdi.
----
From my MacBook Pro.
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 24 dec. 2015, om 15:55 heeft Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxx>
het volgende geschreven:

What I can't imagine doing is driving on the left in an American or
european-type left hand drive car [or, for that matter driving on
the right in a right hand drive car]. If I didn't have the constant
reminder that something is different I suspect I'd get up in the
morning, drive on the wrong side, and end up in a head-on
collision.

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org