[rollei_list] Re: Driving on the right - was: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: "F.W. Stutterheim" <fwstutterheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:51:45 +0100

I come to the UK for thirty years now driving my left hand drive car and ended
up on the wrong side of the road just once. I was leaving a private site using
a narrow road and turned left into a slightly wider road without white lines,
no traffic, initially. My wife sat next to me yelling but not telling me what
was wrong. After a while I decided to stop and ask what was on. We are still
married. Strange thing is I know that traffic situation very well. We are
coming there for around 20 years.

The Brits do what ever they can to prevent this happening. When you leave the
ferry terminal at Harwich you are reminded to keep to the left every three or
so miles. The signs are on the left hand side of the road! Regulations, I
guess. The thing is, when you notice the signs you are most likely on the
intended side of the road. Those who are driving on the wrong side will
probably miss them. ;-)

Ferdi.
----
From my MacBook Pro.
Ferdi Stutterheim,
Drachten, Netherlands.

Op 24 dec. 2015, om 15:55 heeft Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxx> het
volgende geschreven:

What I can't imagine doing is driving on the left in an American or
european-type left hand drive car [or, for that matter driving on the right
in a right hand drive car]. If I didn't have the constant reminder that
something is different I suspect I'd get up in the morning, drive on the
wrong side, and end up in a head-on collision.