[rollei_list] Re: Driving on the right - was: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 09:55:43 -0500

I've always adjusted easily to driving on the left in the UK. It's sitting
on the "wrong" side of the car that I initially found difficult, since that
made centering the car hard. I bumped the wheels against the curb many
times during my first few hours driving; after that it was fine. On the
next trip, years later, my only difficulty was finding the rear view mirror
for the first 1/2 hour. What I can't imagine doing is driving on the left
in an American or european-type left hand drive car [or, for that matter
driving on the right in a right hand drive car]. If I didn't have the
constant reminder that something is different I suspect I'd get up in the
morning, drive on the wrong side, and end up in a head-on collision.

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

--=====================_525518906==.ALT

At 06:14 AM 12/24/2015, John Wild wrote:
From memory, UK steam traction engines have the flywheel on the
left, so it makes sense for the driver to sit on the right.

The saying that you should always look over your right shoulder and
also that a lady should walk on your left, leaving your right,
stronger, sword hand free to fend off assailants may have some
bearing on it too.

John

In the US military, the junior always walks on the left side of the
senior to cover the weaker left arm if any serious problems come up.

I drove on the right side of the road when I drove for a week during
a tour of Ireland about fifteen years back. I had no problem
adjusting, though I did have fits with Dublin traffic!

Marc

--=====================_525518906==.ALT

the flywheel on the left, so it makes sense for the driver to sit on the
right.<br><br>
The saying that you should always look over your right shoulder and also
that a lady should walk on your left, leaving your right, stronger, sword
hand free to fend off assailants may have some bearing on it
too.<br><br>
of the senior to cover the weaker left arm if any serious problems come
up.<br><br>
I drove on the right side of the road when I drove for a week during a
tour of Ireland about fifteen years back.&nbsp; I had no problem
adjusting, though I did have fits with Dublin traffic!<br><br>
Marc<br><br>