[rollei_list] Re: Driving on the right - was: As a matter of Rollei TLR curiosity

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 09:46:53 -0800

The old rule of walking on the highway is to walk facing oncoming traffic so you can see it. I don't remember the rule for horses, its been too long since I've been on one.

On 12/24/2015 9:33 AM, Don Williams wrote:

At 10:27 AM 12/24/2015, you wrote:
Driving on the different sides of the road has a more direct reason.
In the early days of automobiles an international standardisation
meeting was held where it was decided that the driver should sit on the
left and the vehicle should drive on the right side of the road. A
group of car makers in the UK lead by Royce (later of Rolls Royce fame)
lobbied the UK government to do the opposite to stop foreign imports
and protect UK industry. Hence the driver on right / drive on left.

Richard Urmonas

Well, going back to grade school memories again. I have some recollection that riding your horse on the left side of the path made it easier to shake hands with approaching riders. Of course, much of what you learned here in grade school was recollection of teachers.

DAW

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx