[rollei_list] Re: Don's Dream & Memory

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:48:51 -0600

At 03:04 AM 1/15/2011, Dave Wyman wrote:
DAW

That's a vivid dream, Don, particularly the details about "a weak vinegar solution and washed again." And the dream does seem to somewhat parallel your old memory.

Are you sure there was no conclusion to the dream? You got what you needed: you made dim images viewable, and then you fixed them, even if you don't know what the images was/were

Aren't those images, though, the metaphor for you life. Were you attempting to understand and "fix" yourself in the world in which you find yourself? That "special place," away from your home. Is that not the place to which you've journeyed over the course of your life, the place from which you look back to fix, in your mind, in the depths of your soul, who you are?

Of course I'm probably wrong. Maybe you just had a dream mixed with some magical elements of your childhood. None-the-less, I find your dream illuminating, if not to you, to me. And it's a special kick sharing that thought on the Rollei list.?

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I am going back to my childhood days, coming up on 79 this spring, or . . . .

The fact is I do remember the subjects in the dream photos. There were three prints involved, two were people of some importance to me or to someone, and the third was a star plate, with the stars as negatives, and somewhat blurry, as if of galaxies. Now I have never handled a star plate from a major telescope, but have visited Mt. Wilson and used to live near enough to Palomar to get up there every year or so. Maybe the dream had something to do with one of those two telescopes.

Now here is the kicker. I have never been an astronomer, at least in the optical range. I did, however, do my masters thesis (for UCLA) in Radio Astronomy, while living in San Diego. I uses a mile-long array far out in the desert, then owned by General Dynamics, to measure the absolute flux density of 4 major radio sources. This resulted in a job with the Netherlands Organization for Pure Research (= Our National Science Foundation) in Leiden, where I worked on the engineering aspects of what was, at the time, the Benelux Cross Radiotelescope Project. It ended up as the Westerbork Array, a sad name during WWII but now home to several radiotelescopes.

Anyhow, the key astronomers in Leiden during my time there were Prof. Dr. Oort (look up Jan Oort or the Oort Cloud)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Oort

and H.C. Van De Hulst* :

http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/vdhulst_e.html

Since they were primarily optical astronomers, maybe the pictures in my dream had something to do with that place, The Sterrewacht.

Van de Hulst, in particular, would be of interest to camera folks because he edited a book on the scattering of light by small particles, I don't have the book and can't remember the details.

As for me, I created quite a stir there, later being referred to, I'm told, as "That American". I believed that we had the technology in hand and published technical summaries and recommendations to proceed with the actual project, not continue on a pilot instrument we had. I learned, far later, that there were serious economic problems at the time (Belgium and Luxemburg both dropped their sponsorship early on), and only after some time passed did money become available to do the actual construction. As it turned out, the delay allowed the project to switch from some special low noise front ends being developed by Philips Electronics, to the advanced devices that are used today in high sensitivity antenna systems.

So, there you have it, Sigmund Freud and all.

Regards,

DAW

*He said "Just call me Hank" when my wife and I went over to dinner, through an 8' tall door to his apartments in the main building. Oort occupied apartments at the opposite end. There's more but it isn't relevant to this list.

There is something not clearly stated in the citations above. During WWII the observatory was allowed to do work, but only theoretical work. Oort gave van de Hulst the problem of looking for energy state jumps in hydrogen gas that might create radio frequencies, a theoretical problem allowed by the Germans. van de Hulst produced calculations that predicted the 21 cm hydrogen line, now useful for doing velocity measurements of distant radio sources, sources beyond what we can see with optical instruments.