[rollei_list] Doityourself CLA?

  • From: Jeff Dilcher <dilcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:54:24 -0400

I've got a few Rollei cameras- An Sl66, two Rolleicords TLRs, and a Rolleiflex
TLR.
I have been thinking about the viability of doing CLA myself on the shutters.  I
am reasonably technical, so this may be possible.  Anyone doing this?

I enquired about materials from Sara Romney (below).  Any thoughts on this?
Anyone
have any comments about the materials that she has available?  I hate to make
any investment in the documentation/tools if there is some showstopper that
might
prevent me from being able to do this!

-Jeff

---------------------------------

Dear Jeff, We have the Rolleiflex Camer Repair Booklet, 31 pages plus four
11X17 fold out sheets
with diagrams and one legal size of the Rim Set Compur and Compur Rapid
Shutters. This book costs
$29.00 and we also have the Rollei SL-66 for $39.00, and the Rollei 35 for
$19.00.
Rolleiflexes and Rolleicords have Compur shutters. There is little difference
between the 1929
Compur and the latest MX Compur and not much difference between the Compur on
Rolleiflex and
Rolleicord and the Compur shutters found on many cheaper German cameras and
lenses. If you fear
damage, practice on an old Rolleiflex, on a Compur on another old camera or on
Yashicamat which is
practically a Roleiflex copy...and a pretty good camera, too.    We did sell a
spray shutter
cleaner by Vigor, One Dip Spray Cleaner CL505 - Dry Instant Clean. However, it
contains
Trichloroethane and the Post Office will not handle it now in the mail.
Also,manufactured with
Methyl Chloroform, a harmful substance. I believe TV Cleaner, maybe from Radio
Shack, can be used
as a substitute. As for tools, you will have to look at the repair you are
doing on the camera and
then  look at the list of tools we carry and get what you need.  The Rolleiflex
Booklet ( I say
booklet because they are 8 1/2 X 11 but are stapled together and not hard bound
books) is pretty
complete within itself. I do not know how much you already know but our book
Revised Basic Training
In Camera Repair is where we suggest that beginners begin. Jeff, I hope this
will help you.
Sincerely, Sara Romney