[rollei_list] Re: Disturbing News

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 16:15:29 -0500

At 03:26 PM 11/8/2009, Hauke Fath wrote:

>>Shocking news!  Tell me more!  I wrote the book
>>on the firm,
>
>_The_ book, no less? Got an ISBN?
>
>>but never knew they filed bankrutcy!
>
>Well, even if it wasn't formal, you could say it was the moral equivalent
>of bankrupcy.  ;)
>
>Zeiss Ikon AG shut down the camera manufacturing effectively in 1971, after
>spinning off the Voigtländer fab in Braunschweig to F&H (eine Danaer-Gabe).
>
>What's left of Zeiss Ikon manufacturing today produces locks
><http://www.ikon.de/index.php?key=historie&lang=en>.

No, Zeiss Ikon never filed bankruptcy. Zeiss Ikon was owned by the Zeiss Foundation who ordered the company to cease production of cameras in 1972, with effect from 1973. The main Zeiss Ikon factory in Stuttgart was converted to the manufacture of eyeglass lenses. Zeiss Ikon continued to produce ancillary items such as slide projectors for some years, though the projectors were later to end up in the hands of Leica. The only surviving production of the Zeiss Ikon company are the cruciform locks so much a part of World War II Prisoner-of-War lore: the Germans used these extensively in the POW camps in which they held Allied Prisoners, and believed them to be absolutely secure. A Dutch officer at Oflag IVC at Colditz learned how to pick them and taught Pat Reid who, upon his escape to the United Kingdom, ensured that all aircrew knew the trick, so German POW camps after that were wide-open to the inmates. I have one of these locks on a shelf near my desk as a memento.

The Zeiss Foundation kept control of all of Zeiss Ikon's intellectual properties. The current "Zeiss Ikon" camera is properly licensed by the Zeiss Foundation.

This is discussed in greater detail in Barringer and Small, THE ZEISS COMPENDIUM. I would ask that you not buy a new copy but would urge you to pick up a used copy: these come up on eBay from time to time. Hove is no longer paying royalties, so I would regard it as a special courtesy to me if you declined to but a new copy.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!