[rollei_list] Re: Digital and losing money

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:03:53 -0700

At 12:06 PM 6/16/2005, you wrote:
>Eric, you can also get printers for practically nothing when you buy
>computers too. Ink  replacement seems to be frequent and costly. Perhaps
>that's where they make it. There is a number of ink cartridges being sold.
>They seem to become obsolete or scarce rather quickly.
>
>Roger

A couple of points-

The cartridges sold with new printers are typically just half full.

I've had good success over the years with just re-filling cartridges.  The
only problem area is with HP cartridges in which the print-jets are part of
the cartridge and are made of brass.  They are only good for a couple of
refills.

HP has just (once more) split their printer and computer business.  The
printer business, based here in San Diego, is the largest and most segment
of what was once HP, I think they are doing about $24 Billion right now,
and that division produced 70% of HP's profit last year.  It is most likely
the final change made based Carley Fiorina's departure.

HP seems to have learned well from Gillette.

For some of us old timers, it's strange to see HP failing in the electronic
instrument business and selling their medical group to Phillips, but times
do change.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA