[rollei_list] Re: Digital and Slide Projection

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:41:30 -0800

Add me to Eric's list. The newer 4K standard is amazing. But for projection,
depending on quality of film and camera and then projection system you will
get more out of medium format film due to its finer grain. But the times
they are a changing Marc. Convenience is a major factor and with R&D being
spend on digital that was at one time spent on film I would expect it to
only get better. Not saying anything bad about film here. I use it and like
it, but find myself more often then not gravitating to digital and print up
to 11x14 with greater clarity and control than I had when I used film. This
is just my opinion.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> At 03:09 PM 1/16/2009, Eric Goldstein wrote:
> >
> >In the case of MF, it depends what you mean by "bests." Brightness,
> >contrast, reliability, flexibility, ease and production choices...all
> >a big yes in the digital column. Brightness in projection is one of
> >the most important factors in perceived enjoyment, and digital
> >especially has it all over analog here. Resolution, a big no. But
> >resolution is typically not a great issue with projection, because as
> >I said earlier, few observers will be seated ortho or better...
>
> We will just have to agree to disagree on this.  I have never seen any
> digital system which came anywhere close to slides in terms of brightness,
> contrast, flexibility, and so forth, though I will concede that digital is
> more convenient.  And you are the first person on the 'Net who has suggested
> anything to the contrary.
>
> You say tomato, and I say tomahto.
>
> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx