[rollei_list] Re: Digital Wins

  • From: "Jim Somberg" <jimsberg_04@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:25:38 -0700

I think that the bottom line is that I have seen very sharp edged digital pix
at large sizes, that sort of pass as high resolution pictures- but regardless
of the # of pixels in the digital camera, these pictures don't look right. With
the sharpening software that is invariably used to achieve those results,
things look decidedly oversharp, often with an unusually extended depth of
field, and unnatural edges. It is particularly obvious in newspaper photos for
the past year or more and in many product shots; the pictures appear to be
superb at first look, looking like they came from 8X10 sheet film, and slightly
weird after the  longer look. Someone made the point that sharpness is not the
same as detailed and I believe they were right on.
In other words, these pictures are probably OK for their intended short term
uses, but somewhat dishonest in the long term and as gallery/wall prints. Ansel
Adams would be appalled.

Now, would you good fellows stop with all the daily emails and get back to your
day jobs! (Just kidding, of course.)

Jim Somberg