[rollei_list] Re: Digital P&S advice sought

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:54:34 -0700

At 11:39 AM 6/16/2005, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I'd like to buy a general purpose digital point and shoot camera.  Will  a
>model in  the 4-5 Mega-pixel range be adequate for making prints to 5 x 7
>inches?  If so, can list members recommend any particular models? I'd like
>to keep it under $ 300, if at all possible.
>
>I'd prefer a camera that will store RAW or TIFF files.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Akhil
As it turns out Consumer Reports, July issue, has a pretty good section on
digital cameras, printers, etc.  It's in the classic CR format which means
it doesn't have all the gushing text used in the photo magazines, and it
doesn't cover every possible camera or printer.

They hardly bring up the subject of pixels but instead, for some classes of
camera, report on the quality of 8X10 prints.

I'm hanging with my $100 Olympus for another couple of years to see where
the market goes.  I bought the Olympus just to see what digital is all
about and do admit that digital is tempting for every-day use.

DAW

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA