[rollei_list] Re: Digital Ciba{Ilfo)chrome

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:40:21 -0800

It's only available in glossy now.

I have always printed on glossy Cibachrome. Any print that is going to be displayed gets a 1.5 mil UV laminate on it. The lam sticks perfectly, with no flaws, to the glossy surface. The lam comes in either glossy or satin, so, all of my large prints get a satin lam, smaller prints (11x14 on down) get a glossy lam. The nice thing about this UV laminate is that it is so thin, you cannot tell it is there, and... you can wipe the surface with a damp cloth in case someone coughs or sneezes on the print. And, the UV lam makes the life of 100 year Cibachrome, even longer.

So, it is easy to create satin Cibachromes with the UV laminate. Good protection for all prints being displayed.

I have a 48"x60" print in my entry way. It's at eye level. People walk right up to it and say "it looks like you can walk right in". Over the years, I have wiped lots of saliva spatter from the surface of the print. The UV laminate makes it possible.

Jim

At 05:54 PM 12/23/2005, Douglas Nygren wrote:

Cibachrome paper comes or at least came in a matt and a glossy finish.
I assume you mean that both can be used this way. I prefer the matt and
would not put a glossy in an exhibition. I understood the process in
your first posting. You wrote clearly about that and I have a good
sense of how it works. Thank you for your information.

--- Rollei List