[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 17:37:37 -0400

At 09:56 AM 5/31/2008, Peter K. wrote:

I am not preaching, but when someone tries to say it would cost $17K to get a good digital setup I had to correct that.

Aw, Peter, there you go again! That is certainly NOT what I said or meant to say. What I pointed out was that it would take around $17,000, give or take, to get a decent TOP-QUALITY rig equivalent to what I have in film.

Here is what I mean:

I currently own:

Leica IIIc, IIIf RD/ST, IIIg, M3 DS, and M6 Wetlar.
Rolleiflex Autoat, Type 3, Rolleicord, Type 3, 2.8F, 2.8GX
Hasselblad SWC, 500CM, 2000 FCM
Leitz V35 enlarger
Beseler 23CX II enlarger with 2.8/50 and 4/85 APO-Rodagon lenses
I have a slew of Leica M lenses ranging from 35mm to 400mm plus a 4.5/21 CZ Biogon converted to M mount. I have a bunch of Hasselblad lenes. I own a bunch of other cameras -- Retina RF, Werra III, Prakticas both M42 and B Mount, Rolleiflex SL35E, a couple of Contarex bodies,, a lot of Contax RF gear, &c &c.

I am set up to use this gear in both miniature (35mm) and medium format. I can roll my own film, I can process my film, I can print my own prints. All top-quality stuff which I know just how to use and which I enjoy using.

All I was saying was that to reach a similar plateau of quality, it would cost a lot of money. Maybe not $17,000 but, then, maybe $20,000. It would be in that range. Plus I would have a huge learning curve in establishing the method and process for making digital prints and the wasted money in expensive inks and paper in doing so.

Quality in either field just does not come cheap.

But, no, I never said that it would cost $17,000 to get a "good" digital set. I have that already with my Rolleiflex 4.1D digital p&s and my Epson R200 printer. But, trust me, I can do a HELL of a lot better with one of my Contax II cameras and either of my enlargers than I can with that rather puny camera..

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!