[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:28:25 -0700

Depends on how you printed them and on what paper. I can show you the
reverse. "Trained" eye? Well, you already know which is which.

Austin, I am sure you have beautiful prints. But I have seen 20x24 that are
stellar made from digital. Next you look at posters from Kraft
advertisements where the salt grains are crystal clear please note those are
all digital and every bit as good or better than a print from the Rollei.

Do I wear Glasses? yes. :-) Do you need to renew your prescription? Yes! :-)
Digital simply does better.

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Austin Franklin <
austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> > I can get Rollei level quality in 16x20 with the Canon Rebel and a
> > Tamron 17-50mm zoom. Total cost $1100. I know this is blasphemy to
> > those here clinging to the past, but it is the truth.
>
> Having 16x20 prints from both a Rebel XTi and my Rollei in front of me, I
> can't see how you could call them equivalent.  The print from the XTi has
> no
> where near the color fidelity (in both tonal range and tonal smoothness),
> and no where near the detail, that the print from the Rollei has.  Don't
> get
> me wrong, the print from the XTi isn't "bad", but it's just no where near,
> at least to a somewhat trained eye.
>
> It could be you've reached 50, and now you need new glasses ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬