[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 19:04:33 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:38 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

At 06:37 PM 5/29/2008, Peter K. wrote:
Marc,

That is pure BS. Even professionals get great results with a package that costs far less than your $17K. You are simply unfamiliar with the digital world and the realities of it today. Bob is long gone from it.

I can get Rollei level quality in 16x20 with the Canon Rebel and a Tamron 17-50mm zoom. Total cost $1100. I know this is blasphemy to those here clinging to the past, but it is the truth.

Well, no.  A good quality printer is going to run
you a chunk of change.  Rag paper and special
inks cost money.  The necessary computer upgrades
cost money.  And a current copy of Photoshop is
around $600 or more.  So, by the time even a slim
package is in hand, it will not cost you $1100 but at least $3000 or more.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

I haven't priced really high end stuff recently but I suspect a top grade printer and a computer of sufficient power to run it efficiently would be much more than 3K, maybe more like 15K. Digital may be _efficient_ for those hurrying to meet deadlines for commercial work but its definitely more expensive than "wet" photography for the best qualilty work. The main advantage is being able to do very elaborate and complex image editing relatively easily. BTW, you can make quite a good living if you are really good with Photoshop. Most people having it have no idea what it can do or how to go about more than the simplest manipulations.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx