[rollei_list] Re: Developing Reels

  • From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:49:25 +0200

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The Hewes 35mm reels are deathless and the Kindermann reels nearly as good.
>  For 127, go with Kindermann.  For 120, I haven't a clue as to why anyone
> would use anything other than Hewes.  Magnificent reels and exceedingly easy
> to use.

Actually I was quite surprized. I had alway thought and heard the
Hewes were indestructible.

I have a half a dozen LPL reels (each, 120 and 35mm) that are over 30
years old and when I was in the states a couple of years ago I picked
up some Hewes so I could develop there and soothe my paranoid feelings
about ISO 1600 films through security controls.

Last week I fumbled and dropped a Hewes reel at the table. It feel
about 6 inches, just from holding it to the table, but it broke and
the outer wire of the reel popped off like a spring.

I can only use it as a spacer now. I always have en empty reel on the
top to give some space for the developer to slush around and provide
me with some healthy agitation (none of this stirred, not shaken
stuff).

Daniel