[rollei_list] Re: Dev or Camera prob?

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:31:00 +0100

Hi Chat,

I assume that the two frames in question were of the same scene. Other
than the processing faults discussed elsewhere, I would guess that the
muddiness is caused by athmospheric dust & haze on a sunny day. If there
has been a long hot spell, humidity and dust levels rise. If there is no
wind/breeze, it will just sit there and reduce visibility and obscure
the sun*. The sun, usually a 'point' light source becomes a diffused and
softer large light source (the whole sky,  now made up of reflective
particles, as opposed to just the orb of the sun). Because it is all so
evenly bright, there is no real contrast (between light & dark) so it
looks 'flat'  The effect is not really noticable to the human eye
because our brains can compensate for it but film will pick up this
haze. There is detail in the sea ripples and foreground vegitation (or
is that dust too? ;-)  ) so I would say that development was probably
'OK'. A UV/haze filter or even a polarising filter may help. There is no
middle distance subject on this frame to refer contrast to.

* Looking at the index print from a distance, there is a fine rippling
effect in the sky, which may be a light 'mackerel' cloud formation
signalling the approach of a depression. It does not show up in the
lower part of the image so I do not think that it is caused by
processing problems.

If the previous 10 frames were taken of the same subject a few days
before, the athmospheric haze may not have built up at that time, the
sun would act as a 'point' light source, the shadows be harsher and so
the apparant contrast range would be greater.

I hope that these suggestions may shed some light ;-) on the problem.

Best wishes

John