[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:11:38 -0400

At 05:13 PM 3/25/2010, Austin Franklin wrote:

>> A much stronger case can be made that Hasselblad
>> demolished the Zeiss Ikon MF line than that it
>> hurt Rolleiflex.
>
>That may be true, I have no knowledge of that.
>
>> No one who wanted a reliable
>> camera ever considered buying a Hasselblad 1600F
>> or 1000F:  these cameras were denounced in every
>> review for their erratic behavior.
>
>That is somewhat of a myth, and I'd like to see these "cited" reviews.
>Though the 1600 did have some shutter problems (mostly with accuracy of
>speed, not with reliability of operation), the 1000F was far more "stable".
>Having a top shutter speed for a medium format camera at that time of 1600
>was quite a feat.  Hence, why they reduced it to 1000.  Most of the problems
>people had were of their own making.  Sticking things into the shutter
>curtains.  People being clumsy is hardly the camera's fault.  Even the first
>1600F that was brought here to demonstrate, had someone get their tie caught
>in the shutter.  Amazingly enough, the tie was extracted, and the camera
>operated perfectly.
>
>> (To keep the record straight, Austin, I own a
>> Voigtländer Bessa, a Bessa 66, two Super Ikontas,
>> two Ikoflices, six Rolleiflex TLR's, and three
>> Hasselblads.  I have run a LOT of film through
>> all of these, but I can honestly say that I have
>> no bias here, just love for the different abilities of all of
>> these cameras.)
>
>...but no 1600Fs and/or 1000Fs, eh? ;-)  I have all the above (and then
>some) and about 6 of the early Hasselblads, 3 1600Fs, and 3 1000Fs, and I
>have no bias either.  I don't use the early Hasselblads much, but I do know
>a lot about them.  I'd rather use a Rollei from that era than a Hasselblad,
>that's for sure!

Austin

You DO know about the demise of the Ikonta line -- you are, after all, one of the acknowledged whiz-kids on the brand. You are the Postwar Simon Worseley! I am drafting an article, slowly but very surely, on the Zeiss Ikon Business Plan for the MF Folders for the Zeiss Historica Journal. Yes, they DID have a Business Plan, shocking as that seems, given that we are discussing Zeiss Ikon, a firm wedded to the belief that "profit means you are doing something wrong". When Otto gets his next translation across the pond, I will be able to knock out the article over a weekend.

I own the perfected 1000F, a Kiev 88. Absolutely accurate. Absolutely bullet-proof. This is what Hasselblad OUGHT to have made!

Both Jason Schneider and Herbert Keppler spent a lot of time with the 1000F. Both left the camera with relief, finding it erratic and unreliable -- Keppler later stated, "great lenses, bad camera". Peter Dechert, a working pro of the 1950's, also found the 1000F very unreliable. The stories of the 1000F's unreliability may well be mythical -- lord, life is full of such myths! In any event, I do not believe that a serious pro in the 1950's would have used a 1000F. Schneider and Dechert were given cameras by Hasselblad to test, and both sent them back with nastygrams. Schneider recorded his comments in one of his three volumes of classic camera reviews. Dechert's comments can be found in one of his monographs -- the one on the Contax S perhaps?

I believe Burt Keppler is now dead and Schneider is retired, but I suspect our valued List member, Ed Meyers, can put you in touch. (His friend Bob Schwalberg also did not seem to have liked the 1000F very much, from a comment in a 1990's article in MODERN.) I can put you in touch with Rick Nordin and Peter Dechert. And, for a British perspective, I can put you in touch with Ivor Matanle (no fan of the 1000F) and Peter Loy.

Austin, we may be talking at cross-ends here.

First, I am NOT disdaining the Hasselblad. I just think you are jumping to first impressions instead of thinking the business developments through. Hasselblad did not impact on Rolleiflex sales much, if at all, into the late 1950's. And, by that time, Rolleiflex sales were dying as the amateurs went to miniature-format gear. I wished you had asked me this a decade back, as I could have then put you in touch with guys, now all dead, who owned camera stores at the time. I have a bunch of their reminiscences in my files. I will try to dig them out -- but most of the commentary was on Leitz and Zeiss Ikon. As one of them said, "Rolleiflex was just the icing on the cake: we sold them as fast as they came in", but that might have been the result of my taking his picture with a 3.5E as I talked to him!

Second, I lack your huge fiscal reservoir, so I do not have the vast holdings of rare cameras you own. I stand in honor of your holdings, sir, and a Glass with You! Someday, you and I ought to drive to Philadelphia to meet up with Charlie Barringer and Dan Black. Now, those guys have SERIOUS collections. (Drawer after drawer after drawer of camera bodies ... ) Charlie is quite ill and a lot of us are worried about what will become of the Zeiss Lens List for which I have been bugging you folks for decades. NUMBERS. INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY. It will be preserved and it might even finally be made available on the 'Net, though we are still negotiating that point.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!