[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:02:19 -0500

Hi Marc,

> Carlos has pointed out that the cameras did not
> directly compete as they were aimed at different
> markets.

A bad conclusion IMO.  Because marketing wise they may not have competed
(let's assume), they both were available.  And, stores that sold one more
than likely sold the other.  Magazines that advertised one, more than likely
advertised the other.  Someone interested in buying one would more than
likely know about the other.

> Hasselblad was
> intended from the get-go to be a pro camera and
> its advertising shows this.

Lots of things go into markets that they were not "intended".  And this
claim of "intention" is at best vague in actual practice.  But, what does
"intended" mean?  They are both cameras, they both use the same film.  They
both use the same format film.  Too many similarities to believe they both
weren't options to someone looking for a high end medium format camera.
Whether they were pros or amateurs.  And, what distinguishes the two anyway?
From either a use or a marketing standpoint?  Or, an advertising standpoint?
Again, so what about the intention.  It has nothing to do with reality of
contribution to the Rollei TLR decline.

> So, yes, the business plans DID make a
> difference, as they dictated where the
> advertising dollars were spent and where
> promotional drives were devoted.

So perhaps they made a difference in where the advertising dollars were
spent.  But, so what?  That doesn't prove a thing with respect to
Hasselblad's significance to the decline of TLR sales.  You're simply citing
things and showing no directly verifiable relationship.

Unless you can show substantiated figures that show people who bought
Hasselblads would have not considered a Rollei as an option, I don't think
there is a way to establish the claim that Hasselblad didn't contribute to
the decline in sales of the Rollei TLR.  The fact that they were sold at the
same time, and were so similar is clear enough indication that it had to
have some contribution, if not a significant one.  And again, what if the
Hasselblad weren't around?  What else would all those thousands of people
who bought Hasselblads have bought?

Regards,

Austin