[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:20:14 -0500

Hi Carlos,

From what I remember of the Mamiya, the lenses were not near as good as the
Hasselblad or Rollei 80 Planar.  It would be interesting to see a
comparison.  It wasn't folding but had a bellows.  And, it was called a
"professional", which if the Rollei was an "advanced amateur" market camera,
then I'm not sure how that all fits...seems like it would be more
competition to Hasselblad than Rollei.

But, certainly the Mamiya displaced some Rollei sales, and perhaps more than
Hasselblads did.  But, Hasselblads certainly did displace some Rollei sales.
Personally, given the lense quality, I wouldn't have considered (and never
did consider) the Mamiya when considering a Rollei (or a Hasselblad)
alternative.  I saw only one Mamiya TLR used in my entire life at a wedding
in North Carolina many many years ago.  But, I do remember hearing they were
"popular", but in my experience, the Hasselblad was far more popular.

Do you happen to have any price information from 1958-1960 on the Mamiya?
Any sales figures?

Regards,

Austin