[rollei_list] Re: Contax IIa report

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 10:40:23 +0200

Hi Marc,

could you elaborate? Do you mean as a user or as a collectable?

It was my understanding that the IIa/IIIa were complete redesigns, Zeiss having lost the molds and technical plans to the Russians/East Germany, and the need for a modernized design compared to the prewar model.

From what I've read, the II/III have a completely different shutter design thatn the IIa/IIIa (although on casual inspection it appears similar) and a more robust, clearer & brighter (and more accurate) range/viewfinder system. The shutter speed setting seems to be more difficult in use than that of the IIa, and there are numerous reports that the finish and quality of materials (especially the chrome) was not up to the same standard that the IIa was.

Henry Scherer goes into detail also as to the advances/changes made in the shutter escapement between the BD and CD versions, apparently there was quite a bit of development done there, as well as the added nicety of a standard PC sync connection as opposed to the proprietary plug used on the BD version.

But then, I've never actually seen or used a II/III, only done some research on the 'net.

My BD and CD are off to the UK today for a CLA :-).

Cheers,
Thor

On 4 May, 2006, at 23:03, Marc James Small wrote:

At 11:01 AM 5/4/06 -0400, Jan Decher wrote:

Question for Marc:
 Is there any advantage to getting a really late IIa or IIIa (1960?).
Did Zeiss change any materials or designs?  What serial numbers would
one have to look for?

Jan

My recommendation would always be for a Prewar II over any of the others.
The basic design for the Postwar IIa and IIIa was only updated once, when
the Color Dial versions were introduced. By that time, the decision had
been made to dump the Contax for the Contarex and so the same basic design
continued.

So, now, the materials and designs remained fundamentally unchanged save
for the BD/CD matter throughout the IIa/IIIa run.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

--- Rollei List