[rollei_list] Re: Contax

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:50:44 -0400

At 02:36 PM 4/10/2012, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>Roger Wiser <rwiser@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>> Marc and Carlos, thanks for your reply. Here is more complete information as
>> requested:
>> LENS The exact wording on the front is" Sonnar  1:2  f=50mm Carl Zeiss Nr
>> 1058406 " No "T" found. Lens has a bluish tinge.
>> It is in VG condition, It has a filter on it. The f stops are from 2 to 22.
>>
>> CAMERA The serial is D 81941 . The serial was both on the flash shoe and
>> inside. It looked like a B on the shoe. The camera seems a bit more
>> elaborate than the ones on eBay. For example, the window for the range
>> finder is mounted by small screws. The two metal winding knobs seem
>> elaborate too. The left rewind knob has one revolving ring that shows ASA (6 >> to 400) and f (1.5-22) and an outer ring indicate speeds in this order, 1250
>> down to 1 and back up to 60 ??, This side is obviously for the meter that
>> seems very responsive. The camera is dirty but in VG condition. No Zeiss
>> bumps. It seems to work fine but the viewfinder-range finder is very dirty
>> Any recommendations on a repair facility would be appreciated. If you want
>> an JPEG's on this I will send to you off list.
>
>Roger:
>           According the improved description , your camera would be a
>post-war Contax IIIa made from  3/1955 to 1/1956 by Zeiss Ikon
>Stuttgart (West Germany), the lens would be a 2/50mm coated Sonnar
>made by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany) when they no longer
>engraved the red "T" in the lens ring because it became a common
>treatment for high quality lenses (most CZ Oberkochen lenses came
>without the red "T" from about the SN 1,000,000 according a "made at
>home" research,  I found a few exceptions close to this number
>anyway).

I agree. D81941 should be a Contax IIIa RD ('red dial', with PC X flash synchronization). This camera was part of a batch of 10,000 such cameras made during the dates Carlos set out.

2/50 CZ Sonnar 1058406 was part of a batch of 1,500 such lenses made sometime around 1953 or 1954 (odd to say, the West German records are much more incomplete than are the East German ones). It would have been hard-coated but, as Carlos notes, CZ lenses dropped the T marking. There is no precise number for the changeover from the Zeiss-Opton to the Carl Zeiss marking but it occurred at around s/n 1,000,000.

Repair shops abound. I personally would send this to Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain but there are a lot of others out there. If Herr Umbach of ZIV Service is still around, he might be another location. Essex in New York is highly recommended. I used Eddie Smoloff for years for Prewar Contaxes but he is no longer about.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!