[rollei_list] Comparison: scanned Rolleiflex Slide vs. 100 ISO ditigal...

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:49:50 -0500

I am resending this because it seems some of the message from my laptop don't make it to the list. Here is an interesting comparison of two pictures of the same subject I took last weekend in Montreal:

1. This version is with my Rolleiflex 3.5E on (outdated) Provia 400 F slide film - processed and returned in 3 days by Dwayne's Photo in Kansas - then scanned with my Epson 3200 Photo Scanner:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/6825941141/in/photostream

2. This one was taken minutes later with my Canon 60D and 15-85mm zoom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/6825978115/in/photostream/

View at highest resolution, although neither image was uploades at the highest possible resolution (too large).

I prefer the warmer tones (and the square image) of the scanned slide. The digital image wins in sharpness and contrast (and cost!) but a high-end drum scan of the Provia slide might have made this a very close match qualitatively.

Jan