[rollei_list] Color casts; was: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:25:41 -0500

On Dec 5, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

In life the eye continuously adapts for color. Its easy to demonstrate this to your self. Just look through a camera filter for a minute or two and then look without it. I have also had the experience of having my eyes mis-matched, for instance, when hiking in the late afternoon with the sun on one side. The eye on the sun side becomes quite blue. It takes a minute of two for this to wear off.

This often happens to me after viewing images on a light table for several minutes. Since I am right-eyed, when I look up my right eye is practically blind until the iris opens up again, while my left eye continues to function normally. The effect is somewhat dizzying. On the other hand, what you describe would seem to be a function of the brain processing the visual information it is fed. While I am no expert, I don't know of any mechanism in the eye itself for color- correction. For me, one of the interesting side effects of getting fairly deeply into black-and-white photography was a much heightened sensitivity to subtle differences of hue in color subjects; while this sounds paradoxical, such differences can become more pronounced when strong color contrast filters are used.

Best regards,
Aaron