[rollei_list] Cleaning Rolleinars and filters

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:39:14 -0800

OK Roger,
Not sure about Gin. Grain alcohol is different from Gin, (bear in mind I am
not an expert on Gin). If you cannot get them clean here is a suggestion.
Use Q-tips and some acetone. If you cannot get pure acetone use your wife's
nail polish remover but make sure it is acetone based. This will leave some
residue but will remove oil, dirt, and anything else on the lens but will
not harm the coatings. DO NOT get the acetone on any painted surfaces. It
will will remove paint.
To remove the remaining residue, use a microfiber lens cleaning cloth. If
the residue is stubborn, then use a tiny amount of windex to remove it along
with the cloth. I am sure RUGers will tell me I am wrong for some reason to
suggest windex. But it works for me. I even use my breath by exhaling on the
lens to get a light moisture on it to remove the residue and ten wipe it off
with a microfiber cloth. Again, this will not be accepted by the purists but
does work for me.

Peter K