[rollei_list] Re: Cleaning Rolleinars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 07:21:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 3:30 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Cleaning Rolleinars

For normal dust removal I puff with a puffer brush; for 'stuck' on dirt, the liquid in a little red bottle (lens cleaner from 30 years ago) and a small tear off lens cleaning tissue. Removing any small smears can take more gentle wiping than removing the offending mark in the first place.

By accident, when asked if the filter element could be changed in a Rollei bayonet filter, I experimented. I soaked an old well abused filter in methylated spirits (shock-horror!) for a number of hours to loosen the adhesive. I did wreck the holder in the process; but if I was going to do this as a profession, I would make up a couple of collets to hold the two halves securely. The join line is not easy to see but with a wrench on one side and the other held in a lathe chuck, it came apart. When I dried the component parts, I noticed that the filter glass was now sparkly clear. Before it had been hazy and well abraded by over cleaning. The long immersion in meths had apparently removed the coating and the signs of abuse. I would not recommend this for anything of value, but one of the many useless Rollei filters in the scrap box at a camera fair might be worth
experimenting on...

I would be interested for comment as to why meths has removed the coating. It was an early bayonet 1 yellow filter (without the size stamped on it).
The probable answer is that the coating was very soft...

John

If this was a very old filter it may have been coated with lacquer. If so the methylated spirits would have removed it. Depending on the lacquer it can be removed with alcohol or a solution of alkali such as stock Dektol. Some very early lens coatings were applied chemically and can be removed by normal cleaning procedures. Kodak applied such coatings to some of its premium lenses but only on inside surfaces. I doubt if this is what you encountered. "Modern" lens coatings, i.e., those available after WW-2 are vacuum deposited and baked in vacuuo, they are quite hard and can not be removed by a solvent.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA