[rollei_list] Re: Cleaning Rolleinars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 23:30:09 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:27 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Cleaning Rolleinars

I agree with you Marc.

Over the past 60 years, I have used everything from a shirt tail + my breath, to that exotic NASA stuff that costs $50/1oz. IT ALL WORKS! In my camera backpacks I currently have either ClearSight or ROR. I have both and re-packaged them for easier use (in non-leak bottles) in the field. I do not know which one I have where. I use whatever is handy, when necessary. And I usually use it with an Apple iKlear Microfiber Chamois Cloth ( http://www.klearscreen.com/detail.aspx?ID=16 ). The cloth, for me, is just super. I've been using it (them) for many years. Breath plus the cloth is what I usually use and only resort to the cleaner bottle stuff when forced to.

I use the above on my filters (polarizers, warming, split ND, & ND) and lenses. This works on resin and glass filters the same.

MHO from decades of doing it,

Jim

Jim Brick
Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.photomojo.org/vip.swf

I garuntee that if you continue re-using the same cloth or tissue you will eventually scratch up a lens before you know its happening.

FWIW, the MSDS for ROR is:

Ammonia 26degree
Sodium chloride
Isopropyl alcohol
Liquid soap
Distilled water

So much for being a magic formula.
The ammonia is probably ammonium hydroxide. I have no idea of the purpose of the salt, perhaps as a buffer or to produce ammonium chloride in solution. The liquid soap is probably not one of the wetting agents discussed below because they are not soaps. A soap is produced by reacting a fat or oil with a metallic alkali such as sodium hydroxide (lye). The nature of the soap depending on the kind of metal in the base. Soaps are surfactants, the wetting agents discussed below are detergents.

Kodak lens cleaner contains:
Ammonium carbonate and a cationic surfactant (wetting agent) with a long name, I think its Triton-X 100

Windex Original contains:
Isopropyl alcohol, ethylene glycol, and a wetting agent similar to Triton-X

One brand of "streak free" glass cleaner contains: Ispropyl alcohol and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether AKA Butyl cellosolve, a common wetting agent.

Another brand contains isopropanol and 2-Butoxyethanol a surfactant found in many glass cleaners. It is another name for butyl cellosolve

2-Butoxyethanol is described at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Butoxyethanol

Triton-X 100 is described at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_X-100
Which lists most of the various names it goes under.

    Almost all glass cleaners fall into two categories:
1, Cleaners containing ammonia, either as ammonium hydroxide (most of them) or ammonium carbonate (Kodak cleaner). 2, Cleaners containing isopropyl alcohol and either butyl celosolve or Triton-X 100

   The latter are often labeled "streak free".
While ammonium hydroxide is quite caustic it is used in such high dilution in glass cleaner that it probably has no deleterious effect on either lenses or coatings. However, Kodak chose the far less alkaline ammonium carbonate for use in their cleaner. I have not seen figures on the pH of "streak free" cleaners but its probably fairly neutral. One could make a good streak free cleaner from distilled water, rubbing alcohol, and Photo-Flo.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA