[rollei_list] Re: Cleaning Rolleinars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 09:11:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob James" <starboy0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:23 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Cleaning Rolleinars

Just received the set of Rolleinars 1, 2, 3. Needless to say they are not in the pristine condition as they appeared in the photos. I'm wondering what is the best way to clean them?

Thanks!

Bob James

Same as any other lens, try any of the "streak free" glass cleaners first. Use soft, lint free tissue such as Kimwipes or Kodak Lens Tissue (if you can still get it). Wet the tissue and drag it accross the lens then toss it and use a fresh tissue for the next application. If the lens is dusty use a hand air bulb to blow it off. Canned air works but be careful not to use too much pressure. Another way is to make a one-use brush from lens tissue by rolling it up and tearing it, fold the two torn ends together and use the feathered ends to brush off the dust. Use each brush _once_ onl and discard. Some lenses have oil or greas on them, the best solvent is either naphtha (Ronsonol lighter fluid is good and leaves no residue) or acetone. Acetone is a standard solvent for cleaning lens components in manufacture but can dissolve many paints and plastics so must be used with care.
   Never scrub a lens.
I am also not enthusiastic about micro-fiber cloths, the problem with anything that is re-used is that it can pick up particles of grit and cause scratching. Some of the newer lens coatings are fairly hard but most of the older ones are not and are quite vulnerable to scratching. Also, some types of optical glass are rather soft and can be scratched by cleaning that would not affect a window. I don't know if any of the Rolleinars have air spaced elements but in general lenses that do can develop a haze in the sealed compartment. Mostly this haze comes off with ordinary glass cleaner but getting access to the inside of a lens cell can be difficult.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles