[rollei_list] Re: Carl Zeiss 150mm f/4 Sonnar lens, without leaf

  • From: David Seifert <dseifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 08:55:46 -0700

Dan Kalish wrote:

>>Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 22:38:36 -0700
>>From: David Seifert <dseifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Carl Zeiss 150mm f/4 Sonnar lens, without leaf
>>
>>Dan,
>>
>>I'm not sure which particular one you are referring to.  The 150/4
>>Sonnar has been made in every conceivable mount.  With and without
>>shutter.  The SL66 version is somewhat unique in that it does not have a
>>focusing mount since the bellows, which are part of the camera body,
>>performs that function.  Is there a particular instance you are
>>interested in?
>>
>>David
>>
>>Dan Kalish wrote:
>>

>>>Is this lens usable in any camera besides the SL66?
>>>
>>>Dan
>>>

>Hi, David:
>
>The question is based on my concluding that of all the high priced equipment
>I have, this is the item I can most do without.  So the question has two
>practical aspects: 1. If I acquire another MF camera, such as a 600_ or SLX,
>will the lens be useful?; 2. If I sell it, will the market be an extremely
>narrow niche of people with SL66/e or a wider market?  If a store sells it
>on consignment, must the store have an SL66 on which to show it or will a
>wider range of cameras do?
>
>Dan

Dan,

Ah, now I understand the question.  The SL66 lenses are not readily
usable on any other body.  The System 6000 cameras do not have internal
shutter mechanisms so the SL66 lens will not be usable.  I guess it
would be possible to mount an SL66 lens on a bellows for a Hasselblad
with a focal plane shutter but this would certainly not be a good way to
demonstrate the lens.

Yes, for a store to effectively demonstrate an SL66 lens only an SL66
family body will do.

David