[rollei_list] Re: Capa's Cameras

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:37:10 -0400

At 05:49 PM 9/25/2009, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>I heard that "sharpness" which is to me as well vague but that doesn't stop
>everyone from thinking in those terms turned out to NOT be resolution.
>Perhaps acutance. The Nikkor's did NOT resolve more line pairs  But they had
>more contrast. The Nikkor's may have and more contrast (snap!?) and that
>comes across as sharpness when hold up the negs and look at them as the
>bullets fly by in that last batch and then perhaps even run off some contact
>sheets.

Except that is not true. These lenses were tested by several optical labs in the US and by several photo magazines, all in 1951, and no distinctions in performance could be found. Again, the Japanese redesigned their lenses shortly afterwards, and the mid-1950's lenses were improvements but, then, by then Zeiss and Leitz had also reworked their offerings.

But, in 1950, the Japanese lenses were precise copies of the German originals and were made from German optical glasses. A copy cannot exceed the performance of the original, by definition.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!