[rollei_list] Re: Capa's Cameras

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:07:54 -0700

Didn't price play a part in this? I mean weren't the Nikon lenses less
costly and the Nikon body much easier to load film, etc? Kind of reminds me
of a conversation a ways back when the Leica lenses of the 40s were mediocre
and many used the Zeiss in their place, such as HCB. It wasn't until the 50s
that Leica make decent lenses. For me I never liked the M body. Absolutely
hated the film loading so I would opt for a Nikon just to get away from that
alone.

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> At 07:18 AM 9/26/2009, Laurence Segil wrote:
>
>> Coming into this discussion quite late, but it seems to me a salient fact
>> that in the afterward "Photo Data" to his book This is War David Douglas
>> Duncan tells the story of his discovery of the quality of the early Nikkor
>> lenses and his subsequent use of them on his Leica III.  Had he a reason to
>> fabricate such a story for his book?
>>

> As already noted, yes.  Duncan had committed himself early and hard to the
> Nikon-is-superior school and it would have required him to hope into his
> chariot and ride it frantically around the arena backwards to be able to
> retract his earlier stories.  He had gone international on this in his
> initial fights with the Tokyo photo-editors in JUN 1950.
>

> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the