[rollei_list] Re: CODEC ( Happy New Year!)

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:41:25 +0000

Hi Neil,
thanks for that - I knew what a codec was/did just not what codec stood for. When referring to the "lossyness" of codecs I was referring to their use in digital music - and I suppose video. Clearly for data transmission a lossless system is essential......
Frank

On 3 Jan, 2006, at 15:04, Neil Gould wrote:

Hi Frank,

From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:59:03 +0000

[...]
All digital music and video is compressed using one of the several
standard codecs (can anybody tell me exactly what this stands for)
which is a mathematical compression/expansion algorithm.

The term CODEC is an abbreviation for enCOder / DECoder. In short, it is a
device or method that can translate data from one format into another, and
conversely re-translate it back into the original format.

Different codec have benefits pushed by their proponents but they
are all lossy.

This is an overgeneralization. Whether a CODEC is lossy is dependent on
its intent and implementation. In many common usages, e.g. mp3 players,
the intent is to reduce the bitrate needed to transmit data, and in such
uses, it may be necessary to "lose" content that is felt to be unnecessary
for the consumption of the data. In other uses, for example ZIP
compression of data files (where the ZIP algorithm is a CODEC), the
implementation is lossless.

Regards,

Neil

--- Rollei List