[rollei_list] Re: CDROMS and DVD media are NOT archival backups. Period.

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 17:58:42 -0400

Hi Frederic,

Are hard drives better long term than tape is?  I'm not sure that's true.

I'm also not sure I believe CD/DVDs aren't pretty darned good.  This company
claims 50 years:

http://www.primera.com/backup-archival.html

These guys claim 300 years:

http://www.mediasupply.com/mama.html

I'm going to guess they haven't any actual ones that have lasted 300 years
though ;-)  But, my point is, I don't think this is shuch an open and shut
case, unless someone can point to a study that has some credibility that
gives actual test data and results.

Regards,

Austin