[rollei_list] Re: CD Sanding

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 11:43:36 -0500

At 07:48 AM 5/7/2008 -0500, Roger wrote, in part:
On CD's I have use eye glass cleaner with la lens cleaner cloth probably in some cases more effective that soap & water. The abrasive or polishing concept sounds like a fine idea. Roger

I may have started a slightly confusing thread which has now split into two different topics (I think anyhow)

1. My original discussion about polishing was related to recovering and copying some audio CD's which were burned for a friend who let them slide around in the sand under his car seat for about a year, playing them (about 10 altogether) over that time. He wanted to loan them to me and when I got them it was clear that some were very badly scuffed and couldn't be read or copied. Having nothing to lose, and knowing that the outside layer was simply for protection, I just sanded them with the finest paper I had to remove the worst scratches and was then able to play and re-copy them for my friend.

I now see that a local DVD rental place has a polishing service, I think $1.50 for minor polishing, about $3.00 for a major cleanup, so it seems that smoothing the outer surface is a reasonable thing to do.

2. We still subscribe to Netflix and from time to time the DVD's have problems. I don't polish them but do wash them with highly diluted baby shampoo and rinse with de-ionized water. This generally fixes the problems. I think this is more like what Roger is doing, probably removing fingerprints. I have observed that most folks who aren't camera buffs or technofiles(?) take no precautions when handling CD's or DVD's and that's why they are often scratched or finger printed, or both.

With regard to washing disks I have seen a bit of moisture get into the edges but have never seen it penetrate to the recording area and find that it dries out almost instantly when put into a warm player or even a cold one for that matter.

Have I confused everyone enough or do you want more punishment?

DAW