[rollei_list] Buy the local 80/2.8 or hold out for a 75/3.5?

  • From: Adam Gori <adam.gori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:40:54 -0500

Hello:

This is my first post to the Rollei List, though I have followed for some
time.

There is a 80/2.8 Planar for sale at my local store in good shape, although
I have been looking to no avail for a 75/3.5 planar/xenotar. My question, in
short, is am I splitting hairs in holding out for a 75/3.5 when a
serviceable 80mm is at hand?

Here's my thinking: I've come over the years to prefer slower lenses for
their lighter weight / easy handling and less pronounced out-of-focus areas.
But I'm wondering if either of those considerations is that significant when
considering the 75mm v. the 80mm planars or xenotars? If not, I'll happily
purchase the local 2.8 planar, but since I don't have a 3.5 to compare it
to, I'm a bit at a loss...

Thanks for any counsel and experience you can offer.