[rollei_list] Re: Bloviating, Part 2: 2/85 Zeiss Sonnar

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

I only have a Rollei SL 35M (QBM bayonet like the 3003) and I don't have the
Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 but I know and tried it in July 2007 when it was offered to
me, an excellent lens for portraits since it's a short tele Planar design made
by Zeiss, the wider f stops allow a clear separation subject-background with
pleasant bokeh and softening the subject hardest features at those wider
apertures, it's a terrific sharp lens from f 4-f 5.6; I did not buy it for
three reasons: 1)the price; 2)I had covered the focal length with the Rollei
TLR lenses and Rolleikin; 3) I prefer 200mm lenses for head studies with 35mm
film format and then I bought a Rolleinar/Mamiya tele 3.5/200, a terrific lens
for portraits if you use it from the right distance.
Talking about QBM lenses only, some experts like Prochnow consider the
Mamiya/Rolleinar lenses for SL35/2000/3000 cameras _at least_ as good as Zeiss
lenses for every point of view, outstanding quality construction, very compacts
and with modern computer design  despite they were cheaper lenses.

We are on Friday in several places of the world and then I'd like to mention
two samples linked to the comment above (please consider my scanner is not as
good for 35mm as for MF):

2.8C Xenotar 2.8/80 with Rolleikin 35mm film adapter:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/2244358971/

Portrait with Rolleiflex SL 35M QBM, Rolleinar/Mamiya 3.5/200 taken at f 4,
camera handheld, focus on the eye in shadows:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/2744078846/

You could see the images largest size too.-

Carlos