[rollei_list] Re: Black and white film question

  • From: AlfistoNJ@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:55:27 EST

Although I have been enjoying the recent discussions of Turbines, HDTV (a
favorite of mine) and culture. I do have a general question regarding film. My
daughter, who splits fairly equally between film (35mm and Polaroid SX70 for
manipulation) and digital with the occasional use of one of my beatup but
totally
usable Rolleicords (obligatory Rollei reference). Her usual 35mm film of
choice is Tri-x. Generally she shoots at 320. Over the Summer we did some push
processing at 1600 in the darkroom that she and I have built up, at her
request,
which made her dad very pleased. The push processing was more or less
educational for her and to see if I could still do it for me...
In any case, the other day she ran out of Tri-x and asked me if she could use
Plus-x at 400 which we had in the 'fridge, and push process and get the same
results as Tri-x normally exposed at 320-400. Without really thinking it
through I said no don't do that. As a good daughter, she accepted her dad's
sage
advice (yeah, it does happen), but afterward, I was wondering whether I was
right. Over the years I have pushed TX to 1600 and even 3200, but always shot
PX
at 100-125. If I needed higher speed I simply used TX.

Was I correct???
Thanks,
Ken