[rollei_list] Re: Best/Worst Rollei accessory was Re: Google

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:29:53 -0400

On Aug 5, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 11:02 AM 8/5/2007, Marvin Wallace wrote:
I would agree with Eric that the camera light meter is one of the most useless features on a Rollei. They seldom work are no good if they do work and are often cracked and ugly.

I dispute this and suspect that I have a lot more experience with Rollei TLR's than you do. (I currently own three Rolleiflex, one Rolleicord, and two Babys and have owned something on the order of fifty Rolleiflexes over the years as I used to do a lot of dealing in them a decade or so back.)

I have found very few metered Rolleiflex cameras with inoperative meters and, in every case, easily restored them to service. On only one occasion did I have to replace the meter. Generally, the contacts have gotten some surface corrosion and a simple removal, cleaning, and replacement will restore the meter to full function. And I have found the Gossen meter to be rather accurate, especially that in the 2.8/3.5 F.

I suspect that part of the canard of inaccuracy comes from the reality that we have institutionally forgotten that a selenium meter needs to be used differently from the manner in which a CdS or later meter is employed. LEARN how to use a selenium meter and it is perfectly suitable. But, then, a 1938 Weston 715 is my standard hand-held meter.

Marc

While agreeing that the built in Rollei meter is capable of sufficient accuracy, that was true decades ago when the meters I encountered were freshly minted. These days, the big problem is with deteriorated selenium cells behaving in a rudely non-linear manner. My 3.5F meter is typical in being accurate up to 1000 fc, then tailing off sharply by 1 to 2 f stops as light increases. Almost every Rollei I have handled in the last decade or so, in which the rest of the components haven't been trashed, has exhibited this behavior.

I would love to find a good Rollei selenium cell for a replacement, because other than described, the meter is in great shape. Meanwhile, although sometimes I use the inboard meter in low light situations, a hand held meter gets most of my business. As is, though, the meter is very useable whenever in a situation where the light is frequently changing. After setting exposure, I align the meter using the ASA dial. That allows me to monitor, at a glance, any changes in light intensity. This is very good to know when working from a static position, especially with transparency film.

Allen Zak