[rollei_list] Re: Best forum/place to sell vintage gear?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 20:04:31 -0500

At 03:20 PM 7/9/2017, Thor Legvold wrote, in part:

I'm planning on going through a few cupboards worth of old gear - multiple old Nikons, a Graphlex of some sort, a Contax IIa with range of lenses all restored by Henry Scherer, plus extra Voigtlander/Bessa body, some Kodak booklets and such, a few old meters, all sorts of random things I’ve inherited or picked up over the years, and sell what I can.

It's sad out in the old-hard world. I also have cupboards of Nikon, Contax, Rollei accessories, whatever. Treasures to me, purchased with hard-earned money . . . but the prices now I see everywhere are disappointing.

The items I consider as jewels are just commodities to the outside world.

[I bought my first Rollei in Hong Kong in 1954, a 2.8C Xenotar (as I remember) with every accessory available at the time]

A few years back I made some serious profit in selling a 3.5F - Rolleimarin IV to an ex-navy diver who could appreciate the items. I later found a place that specialized in updating Rolleimarin's and their offers (to others, I wasn't selling) were very low.

To me a Contax RTS with gold-plated bottom (A factory demo) is indeed a treasure. Same for a Nikormat with wonderful lenses, but only to me.

Not long ago I simply gave a late Argus to someone who seemed to be interested in curating(?) it.

Still, I'll have to take the hits. as we all will.  Wish us luck.

DAW