[rollei_list] Re: Benser and Lowepro Mini-magnum cases

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 21:29:57 -0400

Yes, Lance, it is a Mini Magnum, but I got my first decades ago. Since then there have been model changes, and I believe the current version is called Nova Mini, and is a little different. The interior dimensions are almost identical. It's a good bag. I have an earlier Nova Mini that is similar, sometimes used with a Rollei if I want to cram in a few extras beyond my usual and customary, but mostly it carries a 35 mm Nikon FM3a and a couple of lenses. However, it has an exterior pocket and a flap that covers the front. There may also be a retractable rain cover in the AW version. These are weatherproofing improvements, no doubt, and the extra pocket can hold more stuff, but I prefer the original because it is more compact and looks less like a camera case.

If you like, I can send you photos by e-mail.

Allen Zak

On Oct 24, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Choiliefan@xxxxxxx wrote:

Allen:
Are you sure the case is a Lowepro Mini-Magnum?
Searched B&H and Adorama and came up with several cases but no Mini-magnum.
I want one!
Have a link?
Lance
Selma, NC 27576
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 10/24/2007 9:10:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
While the Omnica was well made and cleverly customized for various
camera systems, it shared the same drawback with all cases of the era
in that it was heavy and stiff.  There was always this alien piece of
luggage bouncing on the hip, especially troublesome in situations where
it was necessary to move fast.  I respected the Omnica but didn't like
it for that reason.  Several other options, including musette and gas
mask bags, didn't protected the equipment well enough.

Domke changed all that with a pliable canvas construction,  affording
easy access, protecting the equipment and conformable to the body.  The
design was at its best with an outfit that consisted of several 35 mm
camera bodies (or digital equivalents), lenses and accessories, which
is what most PJs carry, and it made obsolete the finely crafted but
clumsy leather bags previously considered best of breed.  After more
than 3 decades of use, I still find it an ideal carriage for most of my
"serious" photography.

Rolleiography is another matter.  Soft canvas doesn't seem a good fit
for MF equipment, but I find joy with lightweight nylon and other high
tech materials reinforced with foam rubber.  It is somewhat but not as
flexible as canvas, offering a bit more protection at less weight than
leather.  My Rollei equipment fits perfectly into a LowePro Mini-magnum
bag as if it were custom made; 3.5F (with or without prism), lens
shade, yellow filter, + 1 Rolleinar, light meter, and film.  I
proselytize on its behalf.  ;-)

Allen Zak

On Oct 23, 2007, at 8:34 PM, Jerry Laderberg wrote:

> I always thought a great case to work out of in the 1950/60's was the
> Omnica.

<x-tad-smaller>See what's new at </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>AOL.com</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> and </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>Make AOL Your Homepage</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>.</x-tad-smaller>