[rollei_list] Re: Benser and Lowepro Mini-magnum cases

  • From: Choiliefan@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:47:59 EDT

Allen:
Are you sure the case is a Lowepro Mini-Magnum?
Searched B&H and Adorama and came up with several cases but no Mini-magnum.
I want one!
Have a link?
Lance
Selma, NC 27576
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 10/24/2007 9:10:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

While the Omnica was well made and cleverly customized for various
camera systems, it shared the same drawback with all cases of the era
in that it was heavy and stiff.  There was always this alien piece of
luggage bouncing on the hip, especially troublesome in situations where
it was necessary to move fast.  I respected the Omnica but didn't like
it for that reason.  Several other options, including musette and gas
mask bags, didn't protected the equipment well enough.

Domke changed all that with a pliable canvas construction,  affording
easy access, protecting the equipment and conformable to the body.  The
design was at its best with an outfit that consisted of several 35 mm
camera bodies (or digital equivalents), lenses and accessories, which
is what most PJs carry, and it made obsolete the finely crafted but
clumsy leather bags previously considered best of breed.  After more
than 3 decades of use, I still find it an ideal carriage for most of my
"serious" photography.

Rolleiography is another matter.  Soft canvas doesn't seem a good fit
for MF equipment, but I find joy with lightweight nylon and other high
tech materials reinforced with foam rubber.  It is somewhat but not as
flexible as canvas, offering a bit more protection at less weight than
leather.  My Rollei equipment fits perfectly into a LowePro Mini-magnum
bag as if it were custom made; 3.5F (with or without prism), lens
shade, yellow filter, + 1 Rolleinar, light meter, and film.  I
proselytize on its behalf.  ;-)

Allen Zak